A pondering

Something I was thinking about this week.

My friend just got a shiny new car, she cried when she left her old one at the garage and collected the new one.  The car salespeople gave her some very strange looks.  She has been telling me how she loved the old car, the places it has taken her and the fact it has kept her from getting soaked waiting for buses.

It made me think about how we get attached to some things but not others.  I was pondering why some things become part of the family and others don't.  I hear people who have named their cars and talk about them as though they have feelings and intentions.  I guess your car does take you lots of places and goes with you on holidays and days out. 

But why don't other objects take on a persona in the same way.  For example I just changed my boiler.  For over 7 years Bruce the Boiler has kept me warm during cold winter nights, he has provided hot water to keep me clean and to fill nice relaxing baths.  I kicked Bruce out without a second thought, no tears were shed for the boiler. 

Any idea why cars creep into our hearts but the humble boiler doesn't?

4 comments:

The Blogger Formerly Known As said...

I’ve wondered about this before too. I could (and probably do) get attached to things. For me it’s more likely to be my comfortable settee or something like that. But cars, I’ve never really understood.
The enigmatic, masked blogger

The Beans said...

I was very attached to a mug that recently ended its existence when I dropped it on the ground. It had been a gift from my late father...

I think the memories attached to certain items stems from the heart.

-Barb the French Bean

Mustang Sally said...

because people buy cars as an extension (or expression maybe) of their own personalities?

and um... I 'borrowed' my car's name when I set up my blog so I could remain anonymous ... shhh, don't tell anyone.

fizzee rascal said...

It's because cars represent freedom. A boiler, Hoover or fridge is just a bit of plastic and metal.

Post a Comment

About me

My photo
30 something female, GSOH, independent, unreliable, seeks sanity. Must like dogs and handbags!